Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Envelope templates that last forever


I got hooked on making 3"x3" cards when I signed up for a Halloween swap last October. I loved how cute and little they were...shameless plug in form of photo here





But I didn't have little envelopes, so I figured I would make some and searched for a template so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. I found one on SCS (I can't find the exact link, but if you can't find one and need the link email me or leave a comment and I'll try to get one to you). After tracing and cutting 6 of them, my template was looking pretty shoddy, and I didn't have any repositionable glue so it was hard to keep the template from moving around the cardstock. When I had an "ah-ha" moment....I am a packrat and it came in very handy at this point in time. My 'day' job forces me to think outside the box for solutions to a problem, and to look at items or processes in alternate ways or functions. I rummaged through my desk drawers and found what I was looking for. A plastic divider that came in binders I bought in University...(I graduated 3 yrs ago. Packrat. I told you). They are the perfect thickness for the templates because they are easy to cut with scissors, but sturdy enough to use over and over again.

Since I can't find my template I made last year, I need to make another and thought I would share it with you. So, here's a plastic divider whole:






Cut out your template and tape on top of the divider (I used the yellow divider for the other template, so I still had room to make another)



Trace using a ruler and a Sharpie.
Then connect the inside of the envelope- the fold lines- using the ruler and Sharpie. I used a straight line, this template is quite simple, so I know the cut vs. the fold lines. For more complex templates, I use dotted lines for fold lines. Then cut out your template.

Ta Da!! super simple, and pretty quick to do. The dividers you can find at your local office supply store, or even likely the dollar store.

Hope this helped, or inspired you to look at alternate uses of the stuff in your drawers.

Ciao for now,
S.

5 comments:

I'm new to your blog and am loving it! Can you tell me what/where "SCS" is? Thanks!

Tracy- I just sent you an email, if you didn't get it, send me one at apaperbuffet@rogers.com and I'll fill you in :)

Tracy- I just sent you an email, if you didn't get it, send me one at apaperbuffet@rogers.com and I'll fill you in :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog