Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I've hit the creative wall


I got a call yesterday from the Hair Salon that sells my cards here in London; I was happy to hear the Valentine's were selling well, but I have to admit I cringed a bit when I was asked "can you make more?". I know, I should be welcoming the opportunity, but to be honest, I'm a bit done with all the pink and red and hearts... To be even more honest-come closer,....*whisper* I don't even like Valentine's day. I attribute that to working in a flower shop for the four years I was in University. An Valentine's day, as well as the week before Valentine's day, meant 12 hour days, dealing with (mostly) men who have no idea what they want, they just know they will be in the dog house until next February if they don't buy flowers. Now, usually, the majority of men never know what flowers they want, so we asked them questions "what's her favourite colour?, do you know her favourite flower? does she have many vases?," etc to try and find something that will suit their lovely lady. On Valentine's day however, it's most often roses, and then following a request for roses is the inevitable complaint "What do you mean one rose is $7.00?? $90.00 for a dozen before gift wrapping?" Sorry fellas, supply and demand. It's the same every year. Our only saving grace was comparing the 'love notes' on the telephone orders.
*insider tip* be aware that when ordering flowers over the phone, your card message may be mocked. It's not our fault, some are too sweet, or too corny not to talk about. And always pick a card envelope when you write your own message. No one ever opens them, but if you don't pick one, your message is fair game. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And now for the reason of this post- I need help! I can't come up with any more ideas for Valentine's day cards!! I was asked to make some more classroom valentines, easy peasy, got those done last night. I then offered to make some more full size cards...that's when I should've stopped. Here's what I came up with, using some paper I bought a few weeks ago, but hadn't cut yet. I'm not feeling it, I always have a problem with simple, but this is beyond me. The paper has a lot of lovey dovey writing all over it, so I knew I didn't want to add any more words, and found this SU row of hearts (I bought this second hand, not sure what set it's from). I've used this layout before, from my lovely "I'm a Bella" card I made for a TT.com challenge...I can't bear to part with it, I just love it so much, (sorry it's dark). I will use this card, *sigh* one day...

But I digress. Should I just live and let live and be done with V-day cards? I'd rather not slap something together just to put more cards in the Salon. I want to turn my concentration to stocking my Etsy store, starting my Easter cards, and working on this week's Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge...I'm somewhat stuck on that one too; I know what I want to use, but haven't figured out how to put it all together.

Whatever shall I do?

Ciao for now,
S.

6 comments:

These are great! I'm totally lol on the flower shop tips... SIGH...Again, I love the cards!

These are great! I'm totally lol on the flower shop tips... SIGH...Again, I love the cards!

Thanx for the tips, lol!
I love your cards!
I'm sorry your having a hard time, I say - do what you feel is best, if you're not feelin it, then it's time to move on ;)
xoxo

I love your cards! You have such a beautiful talent.

Wow..! Those are really very beautiful and romantic cards. I am in love with them.

Thanx for the tips, lol!
I love your cards!
I'm sorry your having a hard time, I say - do what you feel is best, if you're not feelin it, then it's time to move on ;)
xoxo

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog