Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Locks of Love haircut donation day!

Rewind approximately 3 years ago.  *ring* goes the phone at 7am on a Saturday morning…my first thought is, “who the hell…”; then “Oh no! what’s wrong??”.  Nothing was wrong; one of my best friends Alison was calling to tell me her long-time boyfriend FINALLY proposed and they were officially engaged!

Fast-forward a few weeks when Alison called again to ask me to be a bridesmaid.  Not long after that I decided I would leave my hair long so as to have multiple options for the wedding.  It wasn’t long after that I decided that I would cut it after the wedding and donate my hair to Locks of Love; an organization that takes human hair and creates wigs for children who suffer from permanent or temporary medical hair loss.

After reading the requirements of the donation process, and realizing I needed at least 10” of hair to donate, I made the commitment to do it.  When people commented how long my hair was getting, I told them why I was doing it.  It brought awareness to the issue, as well as reminded me on the days when I was fighting to style my hair WHY I was doing this.

Alison and Jamie married last summer, and my hair wasn’t yet long enough, so I kept going.

And so, each time I visited my hairdresser, she asked if I was still on board, and mixed my colour with no bleach. Processed hair is acceptable, but the hair cannot be bleached, so no highlights are allowed.  Apparently the hair will break down during the process if it’s bleached. 

So I stayed in the dark browns and red colours, and realized it complimented my skin tone and my eyes much more than my traditional strawberry blonde ever did.

I had fun with my long hair, I played with different up do’s, barrettes, clips, headbands.  

And then…it was ponytail, after ponytail.  My hair started to get caught in my watch.  In the seatbelt.  Under my purse strap.  I was over it.  A desperate plea to my visiting sister to measure my hair to determine if the timing was right, confirmed it.  I had 10” of hair in a ponytail, and still left me with hair left over.

I made the appointment, filled out my hair donation form and walked into the salon saying “today is the day!”

Here’s the before pictures:

DSC08980 DSC08984

This is the longest I’ve ever had my hair, well, I think in my whole life!

 

 

 

 

 

And here is the after:DSC09065

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

profile1

I feel free. 

Liberated.

Lighter.

Happy.

I accomplished a goal I set for myself 3 years ago.

 

 

I made a donation to a wonderful cause to help wonderful children in not-so-wonderful situations.

And I couldn’t resist a Posh Spice/Victoria Beckham pose:

DSC09087

Do something good today :)

Happy Tuesday!

Ciao for now,

Technorati Tags: ,

10 comments:

This is an awesome thing you did...and your new hairdo looks FAB!!! Love the pretty color!

Recent blog:=- Cupcake Inspiration Challenge #21

Look at you pretty lady! This is a wonderful thing to do! Myself and my 4 year old daughter donated our hair last year too! Such a great thing to do! hugs!

Recent blog:=- Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge #44!

You ROCK! I am soooo doing this. I have about 11 inches in a ponytail right now and I'm going to see if I can get a few more inches and then off it goes. :) Such a good good cause!!! :D

Thanks Colleen :) I do love this colour too, except it makes my towels pink for the first few days, lol

aww, thanks Jac! what a great thing to do with your daughter!!

yay Jen! I was hoping a few more people would donate!! that's fantastic!

I love your new DO!!!!! I donated last year :)

You look great!

Recent undefined:=-

love this post chicky! you are lovely. xx

Recent blog:=- Meet Henry

I love your new DO!!!!! I donated last year :)

You look great!

Recent undefined:=-

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog