Sunday, March 27, 2011

Floating Birthday Balloons- CPS 211

While I’ve often worked with clear cardstock as an element of a card (my snow globe card, or my beaded Valentine card) but I had yet to make a card with clear cardstock as the base of the card.

The CPS 211 sketch caught my eye, and I was inspired by one of the design team card (Carla’s), which used clear cardstock as the base.  I figured now was as good a time as any!

I dug through my paper stash to find some clear cardstock I had left over from the snow globe cards, and cut it to a 5.5” square.  I decided on a birthday card, and brought out the My Mind’s Eye Fine and Dandy paper. 

I made the background the star pattern; I wanted something that would stand out as a background. I cut a square of Chocolate Chip cardstock with my Nestibilities square die and a piece of Whisper White in a smaller square for the inside greeting panel.  I placed this in the centre of my star background.  Working from the inside out, it’s easier to make sure the panel on the front of the card is completely aligned with the inside panel.  I also chose to stamp the ‘Happy Birthday’ sentiment on the star paper; I had thought of using Staz-On ink on the clear cardstock, but I only have it in black and really wanted to stay coordinated; I stamped the sentiment in Chocolate Chip ink.

Moving to the outside, I choose the teal polka dot paper as my main panel with a Chocolate Chip border and knew I would use the SU Birthday Whimsy balloons.  I love how these balloons look when cut out and popped up on dimensionals.

Matching the colours in the star paper, I stamped the balloons in SU Pumpkin Pie, So Saffron and Baja Breeze. I cut the balloons out and added some string, and layered them with different types of dimensionals.  I tied some Pumpkin Pie grosgrain ribbon into a bow and placed it over the strings.

I cut another square, using my Nestibilities small square die, in Chocolate Chip CS to put on the back of the front panel; that way, you can’t see the adhesive when you open the card. 

While I love the effect, I can say that clear cardstock is NOT my favourite medium.  It doesn’t fold as crisply, so it’s a bit difficult to hold the card down while you adhere the panels to make sure they’re in alignment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think the great thing about the clear cardstock is that it offers a bit of a surprise to the recipient of the card.  The card looks ‘normal’ when it’s laying flat, but when they open it…ta-da!  I’ve listed this card in the A Paper Buffet Etsy shop. You can see more great sketches at the CPS blog, it’s one of my go-to places for inspiration.

 

Happy Sunday!

 

6 comments:

What a sweet card and what a great way to use that CPS sketch.

This is such a cute card!! I love the color combo, and I love that Carla inspired you to create with a transparency! That is great!! Thanks for joining us at the CPS Sketch Blog this week!! ♥♥♥

I love this card! I love the colors!

I love your card! Such a cute idea! Congrats on winning!

Congrats on winning! =D I love the colour combi (:

Great! i like your handmade card you have done such a creative work....
Plastic business Cards
Plastic Card

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog