Friday, June 10, 2011

Hello little baby, and a project that’s not paper!

Last weekend my friend D hosted a ‘meet-the-baby’ party for her new little boy.  I’m so happy for D and her husband, and the little one is absolutely darling!  I made this sweet little 4x4 card (I’m a little addicted to them now) using some retired SU paper, which is perfect for a baby boy card.

The card base is Crumb Cake, with a Bashful Blue mat.  I used the Mojo Monday 193 layout, one that I will definitely use again.  I added a So Saffron circle to the bashful blue, and then layered some more ovals.  A simple knot of Bashful Blue grosgrain ribbon completed the card.

As for the gift, this is a project I’m really proud of, and it’s not paper!  I mentioned a few weeks ago that I’d gotten back into knitting.  When D first told me she was expecting, I knew immediately I wanted to knit something for her little one.  I decided to knit a baby cardigan from the book More Last minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson from The Purl Bee/Purl Soho.

D and I actually visited Purl Soho when we were in NYC at Christmas; I had every intention to buy the yarn there…but to be honest, I was so intimidated by the gorgeous yarn and haven’t never knit a sweater of any size before.  Also, D and her husband decided not to find out the sex of the baby before the arrival.  I refused to knit in green or yellow, so I told her I’d start the sweater after the baby arrived.

When I got the text message from D  that it was a boy, and I headed up to the yarn shop to get some ‘boy’ yarn.   I chose some Berocco Comfort Chunky yarn in Navy blue.  This yarn isn’t what’s called for in the pattern, it calls for a merino/silk blend which I’m sure would be heavenly….not very baby friendly in my opinion. 

The Berocco yarn is delicious to work with! It’s so soft and knits up really well, and is machine washable.  I also found THE most adorable buttons for the sweater, which was a big hit with Mom and all the ladies at the party.  I just love those ducks!

If you’re a beginner knitter, I highly recommend the “More last minute knitted gifts” book; it’s easy to follow and has projects for every level of knitter. I took a bit longer than the time indicated for this sweater, but it still knit up quite quickly.

Happy Friday!

1 comments:

u did an awesome job with the sweater!  love the buttons!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog