Monday, September 19, 2011

Operation Fill the Freezer- Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings

One of my favourite meals as a kid was my mom’s sweet and sour chicken wings.  They’re not hard to make, but they do take a little time because of the basting.  These aren’t low fat wings; there are things you can do to reduce the fat as you go, but I think wings are one of those moderation foods that you need to enjoy with full flavour (read fat). 

You’ll need:

  • Chicken Wings – if you can find skinless, all the better.  I couldn’t find them at Costco, so these ones have skin but have the tips removed
    • I had a package of about 50 wings, and I had enough sauce.  The recipe calls for 24 wings.
  • You can also use chicken thighs if you wanted to

For the sauce (if you want your wings really saucy, double this)

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 Chicken bouillion dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • hot sauce to taste

Start by browning the wings.  You can broil them to be able to drain the fat easily, but as I don’t have a broil pan, I browned the wings in a non-stick skillet.

In a sauce pan, mix the ingredients for the sauce.  I didn’t have any lumps from adding the cornstarch directly to the cold ingredients, so there’s no need to dissolve it first.  Whisk the ingredients together and simmer until thick, about 10 minutes over medium heat.

 

Arrange your wings in a baking/casserole dish and cover with some of the sauce.  I pour out some of the sauce to keep it for when I’m going to serve the wings, and that way I won’t have to worry if I use the wrong spoon with the raw chicken vs. cooked chicken.  Place the wings in a pre-heated 350F oven and baste with the sauce every 10 minutes, for a total of 30 minutes.

Look at those wings! Yum!  I portioned them in small freezer bags, 6-8 wings in each bag, and kept one serving out for dinner that night.  I put the wings under the broiler before serving to get them a bit more crispy on the outside and caramelize the sauce.

 

While these would go great with oven-baked french fries, or other finger foods, I usually serve these with a salad and veggies so I get some balance and nutrition.

These are great make-a-head wings, and you can bring them to a football party. I’d would double the sauce, bake them as here, but keep them in a warmed crockpot with the extra sauce.

Enjoy!

Stay tuned for more recipes as Food Week here at A Paper Buffet continues!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog