Monday, December 17, 2012

DIY Peppermint Hot Chocolate pails

Here’s a perfect little gift you can give to those on your list, just be sure to make one for yourself! 

 

I’d seen recipes for homemade hot chocolate a few times, but hadn’t ever tried them out.  When I  came across this recipe for homemade peppermint hot chocolate, I was sold!

I found the little paint cans at my bulk food store and thought they were the perfect way to see the layers and a fun little present.

The recipe calls for 1 cup of each powdered milk, cocoa and sugar; my little pail wouldn’t fit that so I cut it down to 3/4 cup of each. If you need to adjust the measurements, just be sure to keep the 1:1:1 ratio. I also adjusted the amount of chocolate chips and candy canes from the original recipe to fit in the pail.

 

My peppermint hot chocolate pails contain:

  • 3/4 cup non-instant skim powdered milk (the original recipe doesn’t specify; I had never used powdered milk before and took a gamble on choosing this one. Also available at my bulk store was non-instant whole powdered milk and instant skim)
  • 3/4 cup 100% pure cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I’m guessing you could use a sugar substitute, but haven’t tried it; this is meant to be a little treat)
  • 1/3 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup crushed candy canes (I pulsed them in my little food chopper)

 

Layer them all in your container; the mouth of the little pail isn’t very wide, so I didn’t have anything to tap the layers down. 

 

Include these directions:

Mix all ingredients (if you can choose a container that has a bit of room at the top, your recipient can just mix it with a spoon to combine- if not, they may have to dump it into a bowl to mix)

Add 1/3 cup cocoa mix to 1 cup boiling water or hot milk.

 

I usually make my hot chocolate with half water, half milk.  If it’s an extra special occasion, I’ll use chocolate milk (highly recommended).

I made some mix for me, but had run out of candy canes so I added a drop or two of peppermint extract, and it was delish!

I love a good hot chocolate, and this is by far better than the instant kind you buy at the grocery store.  It’s rich and chocolatey, and I didn’t find it too sweet.  A gourmet hot chocolate made by you!

 

 

Happy gifting!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
This Is A Do-Follow Blog